September is National Preparedness Month
We, at SERVPRO of Tracy, would like to let you know about different types of disasters and emergencies happen in communities across the country. But, there are key steps that every household can take to be better prepared for them. If you do nothing else this month, take time to create a disaster plan including an emergency escape plan.
- Make a clear plan of what to do in an emergency and in case of an evacuation.
- Identify clear roles for everyone in the house.
- Discuss how to prepare and respond to emergencies that can happen at home, work and school.
- Make a list of all the important things you may forget when in an emergency.
- Have a disaster kit assembled for everyone in the house.
- Have an out of the area emergency contact person saved on a smartphone.
- Practice evacuating your home twice a year, especially if you have kids or pets. This makes it a routine and can make a real emergency situation less stressful.
According to the Red Cross there are many disaster apps now available for smartphones and tablets that can be downloaded to help with emergencies. Some of these apps include a full emergency app, tornado, hurricane, earthquake, wildfire and flood apps. If any of these disasters are common in your areas I would recommend downloading the corresponding app. With these apps you can know when to evacuate, where a shelter may be located, and exactly where the disaster occurred.
Any questions please call SERVPRO of Tracy on 209-834-0200